Two Oceans Marathon appoints former TOM Chief Referee Bernard Temmers as TOM 2020 Elite Athlete Manager
24 January 2020
The Two Oceans Marathon is pleased to announce that Bernard Temmers, a long-serving former Athletics South Africa (ASA) and Western Province Athletics (WPA) senior athlete team manager, will fulfil the role of TOM 2020 Elite Athlete Manager.
Bernie Temmers, former TOM chief referee and silver medallist, has enjoyed a distinguished career in athletics leadership, having served at top level in several capacities.
He has managed and engaged with senior athletes at the highest level of competition. As such, he has a detailed and exhaustive knowledge of the sport up to and including at international level.
Notably, Bernard Temmers served with distinction during the period of sporting unification and set a stellar example of ethical and credible leadership.
‘We warmly welcome Bernie to our event as our TOM 2020 Elite Athlete Manager. Given his passion and depth of experience, we have no doubt that the elite athletes will have a top experience at this year’s Two Oceans Marathon,’ says Race Director Debra Barnes.
Some of Bernard’s other notable accomplishments include the following:
- At the 1996 IAAF World Cross Country Championships, Bernard served as technical official.
- As a leader committed to developing the sport at grassroots and club level, he is currently an Executive Member of Langa Athletics Club, and previously served in an executive capacity at Gugulethu Athletics Club.
- He served as executive on both the WPA Road Running and Track & Field commissions.
- At Winelands Marathon, he has served as Clerk of the Course for several years.
- He is the holder of permanent number 102 at Die Voet van Afrika Marathon, having completed 32 Die Voet van Afrika Marathons.
‘I’m both humbled and thrilled to have been appointed as Elite Athlete Manager at TOM, a Race which has meant so much to me over the years,’ says Bernard Temmers. ‘I look forward to managing the elite aspect of the event and working with the elites to make sure the experience for them is smooth and, importantly, attracts the top field TOM has become renowned for’.
For more info, contact:
The Two Oceans Marathon Media Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sent on behalf of the Two Oceans Marathon NPC by Two Oceans Marathon media managers:
- Mark Meyer: 073 269 4727
- Lindy-Joy Dennis: 087 742 0210
TOM 2020 event dates
8 – 10 April 2020
Two Oceans Marathon Expo, Cape Town International Convention Centre, CTICC 2
10 April 2020
• 56m Nappy Dash, 250m Toddlers’ Trot; 2.1km and 5.6km Fun Runs
• Cape Town International Friendship Run
• Trail Runs − 12.6km, 25km
11 April 2020
• Ultra Marathon
• Half Marathon