Here’s everything you need to know about the substitution process for TOM2020.
Ultra / Half Marathon Entry Profile Changes and Substitutions
The following Ultra Marathon and Half Marathon entry and entry profile changes may be made online on the TOM entry system. The closing date is 5pm (local time) on 9 March 2020:
- Club and Club licence number updates. (It is essential that if you’re an Ultra Marathon runner, or a Club Member in the Half Marathon, you update your details to reflect this current year’s Club details.)
- Qualifiers (Ultra Marathon)
- Recent results for seeding purposes (Half Marathon)
- Personal, medical and contact details
- Releasing an entry for substitution (a voucher number will be generated for your entry)
- Creating a substitution entry, using the voucher number supplied by a withdrawing entrant
- Finalising a charity entry (the voucher number received must be used to create an official entry)
Seeding updates for both the Ultra Marathon and Half Marathon are free of charge. Please log into your TOM online profile and update your seeding with the name, date and distance of the race, plus the time you ran with a website address where we can verify your new time.
Upgrades and downgrades cannot be facilitated as entries are full.
No changes whatsoever will be permitted after 5pm on 9 March 2020.
It is your responsibility as a runner to find a replacement / withdrawing runner. Please join the official Substitutions Group on Facebook to find a suitable candidate. This group will be made public once substitutions open on 9 January 2020.
- You can only substitute a runner in the same race (e.g. a South African Half Marathon entrant can only be substituted by a South African resident wanting to run the Half Marathon).
- Once the substitution is done (meaning that somebody has officially taken over your entry), you cannot enter the same distance again.
The Substitution Process
The official Substitutions process must be followed between 10am on 9 January 2020 and 5pm on 9 March 2020.
Cost: R185 substitution admin fee plus entry fee
Other costs may apply (e.g. temporary licence fee in the Half Marathon, etc.).
Do not pay the original entrant directly. All transactions must be facilitated via the TOM entry system and Webtickets. TOM will not be held liable should you end up with a non-valid / fake / non-existent entry due to not going through the TOM entry system as per these guidelines for payments and fees relating to substitutions.
The Entered Runner (withdrawing and to be substituted)
- Log into your TOM profile.
- Click the ‘Applications & Entries’ tab on the left of your profile dashboard, where you will be taken to your current entry summary.
- Click the ‘substitute’ button. The voucher number will be displayed as soon as you do this. You will also receive an email with the voucher number and Substitution process details.
- Send this voucher number to your substitute runner.
The New Runner (taking over the entry)
- Log into your TOM profile. If you don’t have one, create a profile.
- Click the ‘Applications & Entries’ tab on the left of your profile dashboard.
- Click on ‘New Application’, and insert the voucher number in the ‘Entry Voucher’ section on your dashboard
(at the top).
- Click on the distance that you are creating a Substitution entry for, and complete your entry.
- The system will prompt you to enter your outstanding information, if any, plus personal and race-related information. Please follow these prompts to the payment stage, where you will be charged the Substitution fee. You will be directed to the TOM Payment Portal on Webtickets, where you can choose to pay online, or with cash at any Pick n Pay store. Please select your preferred option, and make your payment. A cash payment option will prompt an email with instructions to you. You cannot make an in-store payment if you didn’t specifically choose it.
Refunds, Merchandise and Ownership
If you purchased a Half Marathon T-shirt, it will remain yours (i.e., it will not be transferred with the entry you release), and can be collected from Race Registration at the TOM Expo between 8 and 10 April 2020.
Ultra Marathon T-shirts will be transferred to the runner who takes over your entry and, consequently, cannot be collected by you.
- The timing chip is temporary and included in the entry fee.
- Parking, Medal Engraving, Temporary Licences & Hospitality Package purchases will be refunded to the original entrant.
- Donations made to the TOM via the Two Oceans Marathon Initiative (TOMI) will remain with TOMI for distribution to our official beneficiaries.
All relevant Substitution Process payments and refunds will be facilitated via Webtickets, our official payment partner. No money may change hands between the withdrawing and substitute runner.
Refunds will only be done once the Substitution Entrant has finalised and paid for his/her entry.
If you want to release your TOM2020 entry for substitution, but originally paid for your entry at a
Pick n Pay Store, Webtickets will require your bank details to do an EFT refund. They will email you in
this regard. For queries on refunds, please contact Webtickets support on 086 111 0005 or email email@example.com.
- If nobody takes over your entry it will remain your valid entry, and can be used by you on race day.
- You are not allowed to give your race number to someone else. Allowing another individual to run with your race number (and your entry) is against TOM’s rules, and will result in disciplinary action against yourself and the individual running with your number.
- All rules, terms and conditions that apply to the original race entry also apply to runners that substitute.
- Runners that have entered the event via Substitution cannot release that entry for Substitution again.
- Runners substituting in order to run the Ultra Marathon must have qualified and belong to an athletics club in order to substitute (if entries sell out).
Warning: Fake entry sales, charging extra, swapping and running with someone else’s number
- Fake entry sales: The Ultra Marathon and Half Marathon are oversubscribed. The demand is much higher than the supply. And unfortunately, that means that there are unscrupulous individuals who will abuse this by scalping entries – much like concert tickets. We keep an eye on third-party reseller sites and request that the ads are removed, but our team also needs to focus on organising the event, logistics and customer care, and cannot spend 100% of their time blocking fake entries. Please do not offer additional money out of desperation for an entry. Do not pay anyone in return for a substitution voucher. Only you can help to break the cycle of fake entry sales.
- Charging extra for an entry and/or direct monetary transactions between two parties are prohibited: To eliminate these fraudulent activities, we have moved all substitution-related transactions online. All payments and refunds will be facilitated online via Webtickets, and no money may change hands directly between parties.
- Swapping entries outside of the Substitution process is strictly prohibited.