Here’s everything you need to know about the substitution process for OMTOM 2019 – the Ultra Marathon, Half Marathon and Trail Runs. Unlike the process for the Ultra and Half, the Trail Run substitution process happens via Webtickets only. There is therefore no need to first make changes on the OMTOM entry system for either Trail Run entry changes or substitutions. Please scroll right down for information on Trail Run entry changes and substitutions.
Ultra / Half Marathon Entry Profile Changes and Substitutions
The following Ultra Marathon and Half Marathon entry and entry profile changes may be made online on the OMTOM entry system between 10am on 9 January and 5pm on 25 March 2019:
- Club and Club licence number updates. (It is essential that if you’re an Ultra Marathon runner, or a Club Member in the Half Marathon, you update your details to reflect this current year’s Club details.)
- Qualifiers (Ultra Marathon)
- Recent results for seeding purposes (Half Marathon)
- Personal, medical and contact details
- Releasing an entry for substitution (a voucher number will be generated for your entry)
- Creating a substitution entry, using the voucher number supplied by a withdrawing entrant
- Finalising a charity entry (the voucher number received must be used to create an official entry)
Seeding updates for both the Ultra Marathon and Half Marathon are free of charge. Please log into your OMTOM online profile and update your seeding with the name, date and distance of the race, plus the time you ran with a website address where we can verify your new time.
Upgrades and downgrades cannot be facilitated as entries are full.
No changes whatsoever will be permitted after 5pm on 25 March 2019.
It is your responsibility as a runner to find a replacement / withdrawing runner. Please join the official Substitutions Group on Facebook to find a suitable candidate.
- You can only substitute a runner in the same race (e.g. a South African Half Marathon entrant can only be substituted by a South African resident wanting to run the Half Marathon).
- Once the substitution is done (meaning that somebody has officially taken over your entry), you cannot enter the same distance again.
If you and another runner want to follow the above process, please email the OMTOM entries team from 9 January 2019 with the details of both parties. The team will advise you further.
The Substitution Process
The official Substitutions process must be followed between 10am on 9 January 2019 and 5pm on 25 March 2019.
Cost: R175 substitution admin fee plus entry fee
Other costs may apply (e.g. temporary licence fee in the Half Marathon, etc.).
Do not pay the original entrant directly. All transactions must be facilitated via the OMTOM entry system and Webtickets.
The Entered Runner (withdrawing and to be substituted)
- Log into your OMTOM profile.
- Click the ‘Applications & Entries’ tab on the left of your profile dashboard, where you will be taken to your current entry summary.
- Click the ‘substitute’ button. The voucher number will be displayed as soon as you do this. You will also receive an email with the voucher number and Substitution process details.
- Send this voucher number to your substitute runner.
The New Runner (taking over the entry)
- Log into your OMTOM profile. If you don’t have one, create a profile.
- Click the ‘Applications & Entries’ tab on the left of your profile dashboard.
- Click on ‘New Application’, and insert the voucher number in the ‘Entry Voucher’ section on your dashboard
(at the top).
- Click on the distance that you are creating a Substitution entry for, and complete your entry.
- The system will prompt you to enter your outstanding information, if any, plus personal and race-related information. Please follow these prompts to the payment stage, where you will be charged the Substitution fee. You will be directed to the OMTOM Payment Portal on Webtickets, where you can choose to pay online, or with cash at any Pick n Pay store. Please select your preferred option, and make your payment. A cash payment option will prompt an email with instructions to you. You cannot make an in-store payment if you didn’t specifically choose it.
Refunds, Merchandise and Ownership
If you purchased a Half Marathon T-shirt, it will remain yours (i.e., it will not be transferred with the entry you release), and can be collected from Race Registration at the OMTOM Expo between 17 and 19 April 2019.
Ultra Marathon and Trail Run T-shirts will be transferred to the runner who takes over your entry and, consequently, cannot be collected by you.
- The timing chip is temporary and included in the entry fee.
- Parking, Medal Engraving, Temporary Licences & Hospitality Package purchases will be refunded to the original entrant.
- Donations made to the OMTOM via the Two Oceans Marathon Initiative (TOMI) will remain with TOMI for distribution to our official beneficiaries.
All relevant Substitution Process payments and refunds will be facilitated via Webtickets, our official payment partner. No money may change hands between the withdrawing and substitute runner.
Refunds will only be done once the Substitution Entrant has finalised and paid for his/her entry.
If you want to release your #OMTOM2019 entry for substitution, but originally paid for your entry at a
Pick n Pay Store, Webtickets will require your bank details to do an EFT refund. They will email you in
this regard. For queries on refunds, please contact Webtickets support on 086 111 0005 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If nobody takes over your entry it will remain your valid entry, and can be used by you on race day.
- You are not allowed to give your race number to someone else. Allowing another individual to run with your race number (and your entry) is against the OMTOM’s rules, and will result in disciplinary action against yourself and the individual running with your number.
- All rules, terms and conditions that apply to the original race entry also apply to runners that substitute.
- Runners that have entered the event via Substitution cannot release that entry for Substitution again.
- Runners substituting in order to run the Ultra Marathon must have qualified and belong to an athletics club in order to substitute (if entries sell out).
Warning: Fake entry sales, charging extra, swapping and running with someone else’s number
- Fake entry sales: The Ultra Marathon and Half Marathon are oversubscribed. The demand is much higher than the supply. And unfortunately, that means that there are unscrupulous individuals who will abuse this by scalping entries – much like concert tickets. We keep an eye on third-party reseller sites and request that the ads are removed, but our team also needs to focus on organising the event, logistics and customer care, and cannot spend 100% of their time blocking fake entries. Please do not offer additional money out of desperation for an entry. Do not pay anyone in return for a substitution voucher. Only you can help to break the cycle of fake entry sales.
- Charging extra for an entry and/or direct monetary transactions between two parties are prohibited: To eliminate these fraudulent activities, we have moved all substitution-related transactions online. All payments and refunds will be facilitated online via Webtickets, and no money may change hands directly between parties.
- Swapping entries outside of the Substitution process is strictly prohibited.
Trail Run Entry Changes and Substitutions
The OMOTM Trail Run Entry updates reopen for editing via the Webtickets online entry system on 9 January 2019. You will be able to update your contact details, medical information, seeding, and more. Your step-by-step guide for updating your information is as follows:
For trail run entry updates, you must:
- Follow the link to the Webtickets Two Oceans page (https://www.webticket.co.za/v2/event.aspx?itemid=1485581309)
- Check that you are logged in to your account (click on ‘My Account’ and enter your email address and password)
- Click on ‘My Events’ and scroll down to the race that you would like to edit
- Click ‘view’ to view and edit your entry details
- Click ‘Next’ or ‘View entries’ to save your changes / Click ‘Cancel’ to cancel your changes.
The Trail Run Substitution Process is as follows:
- Follow the link to the Webtickets Old Mutual Two Oceans page (https://www.webtickets.co.za/v2/event.aspx?itemid=1485581309)
- Check that you are logged into your account (click on ‘My Account’ and enter your email address and password)
- Click on ‘My Events’ and scroll down to the race that you would like to substitute
- Click ‘substitutions’ where you will be directed to the substitution page
- The substitution page will allow the withdrawing entrant to ‘generate a link’, or, ‘view’ a link that has been previously generated (1 unique link is generated per entry)
- Choose (1) the withdrawing entrant can copy this link and send it to the new entrant, or, (2) the withdrawing entrant will be sent an email with the unique link which can be forwarded to the new entrant
- The link will allow a new entrant access to create an entry for the race that the withdrawing entrant has substituted. The new entrant will need to complete all entry questions and complete his or her payment to finalise the substitution process
- The withdrawing entrant can check the substitution progress on the substitution page
- The withdrawing entrant will be sent an email once the entry has been successfully substituted to the new entrant (payment processed by the new entrant)
- Online credit card transactions will be refunded automatically. If you used an expired credit card or paid via Pick n Pay, you will need to send your banking details to email@example.com to receive your refund.