OMTOM 2019 Ultra Marathon Applications – Update
13 January 2019
We are committed to bringing you the best #CelebrateAsOne OMTOM 2019 50th milestone – here’s what’s been happening
Before the festive break, we let you know that we’d be working right through to reach a draw date as swiftly as we can. We have indeed made good progress.
Our goal is to accommodate as many extra potential runners as we will be allowed to in this, our Two Oceans Marathon 50th milestone event. In line with the legislative requirements for all events, we must get the required approvals to ensure the safety of our runners and spectators.
To confirm where we are currently:
- There is a legislative framework governing the maximum capacity allowed in road races;
- We have reached the capacity initially approved by the City of Cape Town, and remain committed to a solution that allows us to accommodate more runners;
- In order for us to progress, we now have to reach final agreements with all the relevant stakeholders to ensure we continue to comply with the city’s bylaws and regulations governing mass participation events.
What happens next?
We resolve to have worked through all outstanding issues by 31 January, 2019, by which date, we will be able to let you know when the draw will take place. We are working hard on ensuring as many applicants as possible will be successful in securing an entry into Africa’s front-running milestone 50th marathon.
Other ways to get an entry
Secure a substitution
Find a replacement or withdrawing runner in our official Two Oceans Marathon Facebook Group. Then, please follow the process outlined here. No deviations from these guidelines are allowed. In particular, you must not pay anyone directly for a substitution entry. All refunds and payments take place through our OMTOM entry system only.
Buy a charity entry
This is your stress-free, sane and secure was to make sure you have a coveted entry. It is also immeasurably more meaningful! You’ll be part of a collective that drives social impact in a way that transforms society for the better, in many of the ways that matter the most. Your hotline to that charity entry is here.
Fundraise for any cause with GivenGain
Need to raise funds for that charity entry or want to do so for a good cause of your choice anyway? GivenGain takes the hassle – and hustle – out of reaching your target!
To get started, visit the OMTOM fundraising page. Select your preferred event. Then, simply click on ‘Start fundraising’ on the event page to register your project and choose a charity close to your heart. Now share your project link with family and friends to ask for donations! For step-by-step instructions, download the PDF guide.
What about registering your own project or a new one not listed so you can fundraise for this other cause? All fundraising on GivenGain always has to be for the benefit of a registered non-profit entity, such as a trust, NPO, Voluntary Association (VA) or a bank account opened in the name of that entity. Therefore, the steps are the following:
- Have your cause registered as a trust, NPO or VA, and open a bank account in the name of this entity.
- Apply for a charity account on GivenGain here: https://www.givengain.com/list/.
- Once activated and set up, the charity or cause will be able to be the recipient of fundraising efforts from individuals.