Applications to become an official charity of the Two Oceans Marathon 2020 are open from 9 – 15 November 2019
9 November 2019
APPLICATIONS TO BECOME AN OFFICIAL CHARITY OF THE TWO OCEANS MARATHON 2020 WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL 22 NOVEMBER 2019, 5pmCharity Application Form TOM 2020
Participating in the Two Oceans Marathon (TOM) event is on the bucket list of many runners – and many return year after year because of the amazing experience and the personal achievement of putting their hearts and ‘soles’ on the line. This experience is not simply participating in a great running event, since at the heart of the Two Oceans Marathon is the goal of contributing to a positive change in South Africa, through the activities of the Two Oceans Marathon Initiative (TOMI).
It is through the generosity of thousands of runners participating in Two Oceans Marathon, and their monetary contributions, that much-needed support to many social impact programmes across South Africa has been provided.
Each year TOM invites registered charitable organisations to apply to become an official race charity. This year, these applications for TOM 2020 open from 9 November – 15 November 17h00 (GMT). Note: The closing date has now been extended to Friday, 22 November, 5pm.
Following a review of applications against the TOMI criteria, the charities selected are able to purchase Two Oceans Marathon entries for the Half or Ultra Marathon, which they can then sell to runners. The opportunity to offer these entries at a higher price in order to drive fundraising and marketing initiatives, are some of the benefits for charities who successfully apply to be an official TOM 2020 charity partner.
• For TOM 2020, 2000 Half Marathon and 250 Ultra Marathon charity entries will be made available.
• The minimum number of entries a charity can buy is 10, and the maximum is 100.
• TOM will notify charities that are selected as soon as possible after the closing date.
• TOM will announce who these successful charities are in the media and across our official social media channels to help kick-start publicity around the selling of charity entries.
• As TOM wishes to support every successfully selected charity to sell their allocation of entries, we will host the charity’s logo, website address and social media links, along with the relevant charity entry information, on the TOM website.
• This information will stay on our website from the time of the official announcement until after TOM 2020.
• We encourage all charities also to register on GivenGain to drive extra website and social media publicity, and potentially fast-track the pace at which entries sell. For more info, click here.
‘We are thrilled that charity entries have become one of the most coveted means of entering TOM, thanks to the tangible sense of purpose and fulfilment it brings to runners,’ says Debra Barnes, TOM Race Director.
Kathleen Mc Quaide, TOM Board Member and Strategic Head of TOMI, adds, ‘We are proud that our TOMI initiatives have resonated so well with runners. We applaud our TOM runners who consciously make the choice to get their hands on a charity entry to further the good work we are able to do on their behalf’.
To apply to be an official TOM charity, please do the following:
• Download the application form from www.twooceansmarathon.org.za
• E-mail the competed forms to email@example.com by no later than 22 November at 5pm (local time).
Please call the TOM office on +27 87 742 0210 or email firstname.lastname@example.org should you need any further assistance with your application.
ABOUT THE TWO OCEANS MARATHON INITIATIVE (TOMI)
In 2019, the Two Oceans Marathon donated over R269 000 to four selected beneficiaries for the growth of their programmes aligned to TOMI’s pillars of education, environment, health and athletics development.
In a move to support more charities, runners are now able to donate directly to the Two Oceans Marathon Initiative, as the charitable entity of TOM, and select the impact pillar they would ideally like to see supported. These individual donations can be made on entering the 2020 event.
For the Two Oceans Marathon 2020, TOMI will make available 500 charity entries for sale, with proceeds of these entries to be distributed by TOMI after the event.
For the years 2020 and 2021 – the funds raised from runners will be disbursed to charitable organisations within the Health Sector.
After the 2020 event, TOMI will invite charitable organisations to apply for up to R50 000 of funding to implement a proposed project in the Health Sector. Details of the application process, as well as the required supporting documentation will be made available on TOM’s communication platforms. Applications will be shortlisted, after which the TOM board will select the final projects that will receive support funding.
Another popular fundraising avenue that was highly successful in 2019, raising close to R1M, was the global online platform, GivenGain. TOMI has chosen to partner with GivenGain due to the simplicity and functionality of the platform and we encourage our selected charities and any individual using the iconic Two Oceans event to raise funds, to register on GivenGain.
As a caring running community, committed to making a positive impact – we look forward to an even bigger contribution to many lives through our TOM 2020 event. TOMI – Together Our Magic Inspires.