Substitution Entries open between 11 January & 23 February 2016
Runners who failed to secure an entry into the 2016 Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon will have another chance. The substitution entry window is open between 11 January and 23 February 2016.
The substitution entry process provides runners who can no longer participate, the opportunity to “hand over” their entry to another runner.
Substitution entries provide an important logistical function that contributes to athletes’ safety on race day. Runners withdraw for a number of reasons, but it’s not just a small matter of handing your race number over to a friend. Each runner’s personal profile - which includes important medical and emergency information - is linked to his/her race number, and the substitution process facilitates the linking of a newly-issued number to the new participant.
Not following the proper substitution procedure could have life-threatening consequences, as emergency personnel rely on the accuracy of the information linked to an athlete’s race number.
We urge athletes to follow the proper procedure and take responsibility for the accuracy of their personal, emergency and medical information.
The Substitution Entry Process
- Starting at 10am on 11 January 2016, the withdrawing runner must log into the online entry system and click on the “substitute” button. A voucher number will be displayed and an email containing this voucher number will be dispatched.
- The withdrawing runner needs to forward this voucher number and original race number to the runner who intends to take over this entry.
- The withdrawing runner ONLY gives up his/her entry. Any additional purchases like a RaceTec Chip, merchandise, etc, must still be collected by the original entrant.
- The original entry fee is not refundable.
- The new runner must take the voucher number, log into the online entry system and click “Substitution”. The withdrawing runner’s original race number must also be captured.
- Once the substitution has been validated, the system will prompt the new runner for personal and medical information (if this hasn’t already been completed).
- The cost for a substitution entry is R120. However, other costs may still apply, including the compulsory RaceTec Chip (if the new runner doesn’t already have one), etc.
- Runners who substitute for the Ultra Marathon are required to meet the qualification requirements and have a valid 2016 running club license.
Please check that you receive a substitution voucher number from the withdrawing runner, and that that voucher number is valid!
It has come to our attention that certain individuals are abusing the trust of runners by advertising the sale of Two Oceans Marathon entries. Please don't be caught out. If you are in any doubt, please contact us to verify the details of the withdrawing runner / voucher number first. And remember, the entry does not include a RaceTec Chip or merchandise like t-shirts!
Don't be pressurised by a "runner" insisting on upfront payment for a substitution entry. When in doubt, contact our Entries Team on 0861 2OCEAN / 0861 262326.
BE A GOOD SPORT: We have received a number of complaints from runners who are being charged exorbitant prices for a substitution entry. If you have to release your entry, we encourage you to charge your original entry fee in the spirit of good sportsmanship. Remember also that RaceTec chips, merchandise and temporary licences cannot be transferred to the new runner and will be available for collection by the original entrant.