Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon “Designed to Run” national workshop series
“Designed to Run” is the campaign for the 45th running of the Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon in 2014. Aptly termed the world’s most beautiful marathon – this slogan has the weight of solid scientific evidence to make it far more profound than an appealing, well-spun by-line!
Says Professor Daniel Lieberman, a world-renowned Harvard evolutionary biologist “there are so many features in our bodies from our heads to our toes that make us good at running.” Our gluteus maximus (butt muscle) being the largest muscle in our body; our many sweat glands and little body-hair; our shorter toes and spring-like ligaments and tendons in our feet and legs - are all evidence that we are designed to run.
It possibly also explains why entries for the Two Oceans Half Marathon are sold out in hours – and why world-wide, running is one of the most popular recreational activities. Catering for the ever-increasing fascination with running and for the expected over 30 000 runners who will be taking part in the events staged on the 2014 Easter weekend; the Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon has joined forces with the Sports Science Institute of South Africa (SSISA) and Runner’s World magazine to bring you this highly anticipated national workshop series.
The “Designed to Run” workshops aim to empower, inspire, educate and motivate runners of all abilities. Each workshop will have input from a top medical specialist or exercise scientist; inspiring motivational speakers who are celebrities in how they have overcome obstacles in realising their Two Oceans Marathon dream – and of course some solid, down-to earth practical advice on preparing and performing your best at the 2014 race.
Our celebrities, who will feature at different workshops, include:
- Elana Meyer - SA’s all time legendary 1992 Olympics silver medallist and now CEO of Endurocad,
- Bruce Fordyce - “King of Comrades” and founder of ParkRun South Africa ,
- Gugu Zulu - “the fastest brother in Africa” a professional racing driver for South Africa’s Sasol-Volkswagen Rally team and his partner,
- Letshego Moshoeu - adventure enthusiast, (runner-up in Survivor SA 2011 and fondly known as “GI Jane”).
Needless to say – these workshops will be incredibly popular and seating is limited so book now to attend one in your area. Entrance fee is only R50 per person and several venues are kindly sponsored by the event’s official hotel partner, Tsogo Sun. With Cape Town being the 2014 World Design Capital and with the OMTOM link to this prestigious title – the road-show dates are as follows:
- Khayelitsha Lookout Hill, c/o Spine Road, Mew Way Road - Saturday 8 February 2014 at 09h00 for 09h30
- Newlands-based conference centre of the Sports Science Institute of South Africa - Monday 10 February at 17h30 for 18h00
- Southern Sun Gold Reef City - Saturday 15 February 2014 at 09h00 for 09h30
- Southern Sun Montecasino - Monday 17 February 2014 at 19h00 for 19h15
- Southern Sun Elangeni hotel Durban - 18 February 2014 at 17h30 for 18h00
E-mail email@example.com stating very clearly in the subject line – the date and venue of the workshop you wish to attend so as to reserve your seat.
More details of the workshop series can be found on www.twooceansmarathon.org.za and www.ssisa.com and there will be plenty of activity on social media (#OMTOM2014), to keep you updated. With a very affordable entrance fee and great give-aways and lucky draw prizes from title sponsor Old Mutual, OMTOM’s technical sponsor, adidas, Powerade as well as workshop partners - and with top class speakers, the opportunity to mix with fellow runners and of course some healthy snacks to keep hunger pangs at bay – who can afford NOT to be at the “Designed to Run” workshops. See you there!