Old Mutual Two Oceans Ultra Marathon Entries Close in Record Time & Substitution Entries Open on 11 January 2016
Entries for the Old Mutual Two Oceans Ultra Marathon once again closed in record time when the event reached its 11 000 entry limit in the early hours of 2 January 2016.
This closure - 8 weeks before the official closing date and with 83 days to the 2016 event - marks a historic moment for the world’s most beautiful ultra marathon. The entries for the Ultra Marathon sold out about a week before the official closing date for the first time in 2014, and one month before the official closing date in 2015.
“Our early predictions of selling out by mid-January were completely blown out of the water,” says Carol Vosloo, general manager of the Two Oceans Marathon NPC.
“The ever-increasing demand for entries shows that the Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon remains on the bucket list of runners across the globe and that the culture of long distance running is alive.”
The Old Mutual Two Oceans Ultra Marathon - an official International Association of Ultrarunners (IAU) Gold Label event - takes place on Easter Saturday, 26 March 2016.
Ultra entrants are reminded to submit their qualifier details and 2016 running club license numbers by 23 February 2016 or risk forfeiting their entry.
Substitution Entries Open 11 January 2016
Good news for runners who failed to secure an entry into the 2016 Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon, is that the substitution entry window is open between 11 January and 23 February 2016.
The substitution entry process provides runners who can no longer participate, the opportunity to “hand over” their entry to another runner.
“Substitution entries provide an important logistical function that contributes to athletes’ safety on race day,” adds Ms Vosloo.
“Runners withdraw for a number of reasons, but it’s not just a small matter of handing your race number over to a friend. Each runner’s personal profile - which includes important medical and emergency information - is linked to his/her race number, and the substitution process facilitates the linking of a newly-issued number to the new participant.”
Vosloo warns that not following the proper substitution procedure could have life-threatening consequences, as emergency personnel rely on the accuracy of the information linked to an athlete’s race number.
“We are responsible for the safety of over 27 000 runners, and urge all athletes to not only follow the proper procedures, but to also take responsibility for the accuracy of their personal, emergency and medical information.”
The Substitution Entry Process
- Starting at 10am on 11 January 2016, the withdrawing runner must log into the online system and click on the “substitute” button. A voucher number will be displayed and an email containing this voucher number will be dispatched.
- The withdrawing runner needs to forward this voucher number and original race number to the runner who intends to take over this entry.
- The withdrawing runner ONLY gives up his/her entry. Any additional purchases like a RaceTec Chip, merchandise, etc, must still be collected by the original entrant.
- The original entry fee is not refundable.
- The new runner must take the voucher number, log into the online entry system and click “Substitution”. The withdrawing runner’s original race number must also be captured.
- Once the substitution has been validated, the system will prompt the new runner for personal and medical information (if this hasn’t already been completed).
- The cost for a substitution entry is R120. However, other costs may still apply, including the compulsory RaceTec Chip (if the new runner doesn’t already have one), etc.
- Runners who substitute for the Ultra Marathon are required to meet the qualification requirements and have a valid 2016 running club license.
Athletes withdrawing their entries are encouraged to post messages on the event’s social network pages, www.facebook.com/TwoOceansMarathon, @2OceansMarathon on Twitter and Instagram. Runners can also join in the conversation by using the #RunAsOne hashtag.
Issued by: Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon Media Office
On behalf of: Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon
For media info and/or images:
Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon Media Office
Mobile: 082 550 1514
For race related info:
Tel: 0861 2OCEAN / +27 21 799 3040