Final chance to secure an Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon entry
(Cape Town, 15 January 2016) Runners still hoping to secure their place in the 2016 Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon have been thrown a final life line: Substitution entries have opened, and runners who can no longer participate are encouraged to release their entry to another runner before 23 February 2016.
“The Substitution entry process provides an important logistical function that contributes to athletes’ safety on race day,” says Carol Vosloo, General Manager of the Two Oceans Marathon NPC.
“Runners withdraw for a number of reasons, but it’s not just a small matter of handing your race number over to a friend. Each runner’s personal profile - which includes important medical and emergency information - is linked to his/her race number, and the substitution process facilitates the linking of a newly-issued number to the new participant.”
Ms Vosloo warns that not following the proper substitution procedure could have life-threatening consequences, as emergency personnel rely on the accuracy of the information linked to an athlete’s race number.
“We are responsible for the safety of over 27 000 runners, and urge all athletes to not only follow the proper procedures, but to also take responsibility for the accuracy of their personal, emergency and medical information.”
The Substitution Entry Process
- The withdrawing runner must log into the online system, click the "entries tab on the left hand side of their profile summary and then select the "substitute” button. A voucher number will be displayed and an email containing this voucher number will be dispatched.
- The withdrawing runner needs to forward this voucher number and original race number to the runner who intends to take over this entry.
- The withdrawing runner ONLY gives up his/her entry. Any additional purchases like a RaceTec Chip, merchandise, etc, must still be collected by the original entrant.
- The original entry fee is not refundable.
- The new runner must take the voucher number, log into the online entry system and click “Substitution”. The withdrawing runner’s original race number must also be captured.
- Once the substitution has been validated, the system will prompt the new runner for personal and medical information (if this hasn’t already been completed).
- The cost for a substitution entry is R120. However, other costs may still apply, including the compulsory RaceTec Chip (if the new runner doesn’t already have one), etc.
- Runners who substitute for the Ultra Marathon are required to meet the qualification requirements and have a valid 2016 running club license.
Beware of fraudsters!
With the high demand for entries - especially for the Half Marathon and Trail Runs - there are individuals who abuse the trust of runners by advertising invalid substitutions.
"We encourage runners to contact our Entries Team to confirm the details of the withdrawing runner or substitution voucher number first. Don't be pressured into making any kind of upfront payment without first ensuring that the transaction is valid," adds Ms Vosloo.
Athletes releasing their entries are encouraged to post messages on the event’s social network pages, www.facebook.com/TwoOceansMarathon, @2OceansMarathon on Twitter and Instagram. Runners can also join in the conversation by using the #RunAsOne hashtag.
Deadline for qualifier, medical & running club details submission
Runners are required to submit their qualifier, medical and running club details to their entries by 23 February 2016. This is particularly important for Ultra Marathon participants who will forfeit their entry if they fail to submit their qualifying marathon results and 2016 running club information.
For more information, visit www.twooceansmarathon.org.za, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the organisers on 0861 262 326 / 021 799 3040.
Issued by: Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon Media Office
On behalf of: Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon
For media info and/or images:
Old Mutual Two Oceans Marathon Media Office
Mobile: 082 550 1514
For race related info:
Tel: 0861 2OCEAN / +27 21 799 3040