4 March: Closing date for substitutions & qualifier updates
If you are participating in the Old Mutual Two Oceans Ultra Marathon, Half Marathon or Trail Runs, please diarise 4 March 2015 as the final deadline to submit important details affecting your entry!
- Substitution entries close - giving Ultra, Half and Trail runners who can no longer participate, the last opportunity to release their entry to another athlete still hoping to run.
- Ultra entrants must submit their qualifying times in order to finalise their entry. Runners who fail to submit their qualifiers by 4 March will not be allowed to participate in the Ultra Marathon.
- Half Marathon entrants hoping to get a better start position and earlier start time need to submit their best 10km, 15km or 21.1km time (achieved any time from 1 July 2014 onwards). While runners do not have to qualify to participate in the Half Marathon, faster runners can use this as an opportunity to get a better seeding. Don't forget the new start times!
No changes can be made after 4 March 2015.
STILL WANT TO FACILITATE A SUBSTITUTION ENTRY?
If you need to withdraw from your race, you can make another runner still desperate to participate very happy by releasing your entry or substitution.
The substitution entry process provides runners who can no longer participate, the opportunity to “hand over” their entry to another runner.
This is an especially valuable tool for those runners who missed out on entering but still hope to make it to the Half Marathon or Trail Run start line.
Substitution entries provide an important logistical function that contributes to athletes’ safety on race day: Runners withdraw for a number of reasons, but it’s not just a small matter of handing your race number over to a friend. Each runner’s personal profile - which includes important medical and emergency information - is linked to his/her race number, and the substitution process facilitates the linking of a newly-issued number to the new participant.
Not following the proper substitution procedure could have life-threatening consequences, as emergency personnel rely on the accuracy of the information linked to an athlete’s race number.
As race organisers, we are responsible for the safety of over 27 000 runners, and urge all athletes to not only follow the proper procedures, but to also take responsibility for the accuracy of their personal, emergency and medical information.
The substitution entry process
- The withdrawing runner must log into the online system and click on the “substitute” button. A voucher number will be displayed and an email containing this voucher number will be dispatched.
- This voucher number plus your race number must be forwarded to the new runner who intends to take your entry.
- The withdrawing runner ONLY gives up his/her entry. The RaceTec Chip and extra purchases must still be collected by the runner.
- The original entry fee is not refundable.
- The new runner must take the voucher number, log into the online entry system and click “Substitution”. The withdrawing runner’s original race number must also be captured.
- Once the substitution has been validated, the system will prompt the new runner for personal and medical information (if this hasn’t already been completed).
- The cost for a substitution entry is R80. However, other costs may still apply, like the cost of a compulsory RaceTec Chip (if the new runner doesn’t already have one), a temporary licence fee, etc.
SAFETY TIP: Please check that you receive a substitution voucher number from the withdrawing runner, and that that voucher number is valid! It has come to our attention that certain individuals are abusing the trust of runners by advertising the sale of Two Oceans Marathon entries. Please don't be caught out. If you are in any doubt, please contact us to verify the details of the withdrawing runner / voucher number first. And remember, the entry does not include other merchandise like t-shirts!
BE A GOOD SPORT: We have received a number of complaints from runners who are being charged exhorbitant prices for a substitution entry. If you have to release your entry, we encourage you to charge your original entry fee in the spirit of good sportsmanship. Remember also that RaceTec chips, merchandise and temporary licences cannot be transferred to the new runner and will be available for collection by the original entrant.